FOSTERING MEDICAL EDUCATION TECHNOLOGY STUDENTS’ INNOVATION CAPABILITY THROUGH INNOVATIVE LEARNING FRAMEWORK IN THE NEW NORMAL ERA
1 Chulalongkorn University (THAILAND)
2 Sukhothai Thammathirat Open university (THAILAND)
About this paper:
Conference name: 14th International Conference on Education and New Learning Technologies
Dates: 4-6 July, 2022
Location: Palma, Spain
Abstract:Innovation capability is in great demand in the working world, however, students tremendously and frequently face ripples from the COVID-19 pandemic outbreak. Furthermore, developing students' innovative capability is challenging. Therefore, this research aimed to design and develop a learning framework to foster the innovation capability for medical education of higher education students in the new normal era. The design and development research framework are divided into two phases:
(1) to design and develop an online framework for innovative learning based on a mini-literature review and qualitative data derived from semi-structured interviews with experts; and
(2) to test the integrity of the online innovation learning framework by experts and students in higher education.
The results proved that online innovative learning activities in four steps and five components foster the innovation capability of medical education. The online learning framework to foster innovation capability is created in accordance with the constructivism theory. The result found that an innovation capability average score is higher than the previous one (t = 6.93, p < 0.01) and then the average score of individual projects (X ̅= 49.00, S.D.= 5.42). In addition, the students’experiences from the try-out of the online learning innovative learning framework indicated that;
1) the design of the content is in line with students’ knowledge levels, making it easy to understand and enabling them to combine health science education, medical education, and educational technology contexts;
2) the Learning Management System (LMS)’s navigation design is comfortable and easy for students to find information, and perform their activities. The note-tasking function also helps increase the student’s active learning;
3) creating a simple problem situation makes it easier for students to understand problem analysis;
4) using online scaffolding and coaching to reduces online learning misunderstandings; and lastly,
5) using video conferencing applications improves communication skills and helps students present ideas in individual medical education innovation projects.
Consequently, the learning framework can foster students’ innovation capabilities in planning the medical education innovation in the new normal situation.
Keywords: Innovative learning framework, innovation capability, medical education technology.