THE NEXUS OF NAUTICAL SCIENCE RESEARCH PROJECTS AND EDUCATION AT THE ANTWERP MARITIME ACADEMY
Antwerp Maritime Academy (BELGIUM)
About this paper:
Conference name: 6th International Conference on Education and New Learning Technologies
Dates: 7-9 July, 2014
Location: Barcelona, Spain
Abstract:As an element of its fundamental mission, the Antwerp Maritime Academy (AMA) aids businesses, industries, and individuals in Belgium through the expertise of its faculty, staff, and students.
The AMA offers programs in Nautical Sciences and Maritime Engineering. Bachelor and Master students are invited to assist with the individual research projects. These projects also provide the participating academy members with tenure and promotion opportunities. The scope of the paper is the presentation of the research projects of final year students and Ph.D. students into the educational program of Nautical Sciences.
At the AMA the following research-projects of students are developed during the last academic year:
• The influence of coatings and application on corrosion resistance’;
• Research of toxic vapours and concentrations on board of (chemical) vessels;
• Evaluation of recent developments of Anti Fouling protection of ship hulls
• Communication for maritime purposes: linguistic and (inter)cultural features of communication at sea
• Essays on current issues of shipping finance, with special focus on alternative funding sources, financial distress, restructuring and work out processes
• Risk analysis of the trust into electronic navigation instruments
• The effects of ships generated waves in the Scheldt region and the port region of Antwerp
• Influence of external forces on Dynamic positioning (DP)
• The effect of biodiesel in a diesel engine.
• Hull-, foil, battery -optimalisation of a solar powered vessel.
• Big Data analytics in Nautical Sciences
This paper briefly discusses research projects of students and guided by the academy members and shows how these projects fit into the education and so also the mission of the Antwerp Maritime Academy.
Keywords: Engagement Integration Research-Education, Nautical Sciences, PhD program, technology, Research and Development and Innovation projects.