COMPUTER TOOLS TO SUPPORT TEACHING WITH OCTAVE
Universidad Politécnica de Madrid, E.U. Arquitectura Técnica (SPAIN)
About this paper:
Appears in: ICERI2011 Proceedings
Publication year: 2011
Conference name: 4th International Conference of Education, Research and Innovation
Dates: 14-16 November, 2011
Location: Madrid, Spain
Abstract:Octave is a high level language oriented to numerical computing. It is a clone of MATLAB and the best is that is free and open source. Programming in Octave is simple, we can make a program of a few lines with a little effort. Another matter is to program well, which takes much longer, but for applications that need a first-grader, we can say is the ideal language.
What does Octave offer to a first year student of engineering? In subjects like Physics we know that new students arrive with strong deficiencies in mathematics and physics. Octave can help to reinforce math concepts, to perform routine calculations and to see the relationship between physics and mathematics.
In subjects like Physics in the first year of engineering, Octave can be used as a tool with the following features:
• Enables to secure and review the matrix and vector calculus.
• Programming is a task that requires reasoning and thus leads favorably on the ability of students.
• The student can calculate integrals in geometry mass exercises.
• You can raise exercises in which, at different values of physical quantities, they can study the different behavior of the system.
• It helps in calculating with complex numbers, many students have forgotten, and that is a need in the alternating current.
The only drawback is its abuse in all calculations, reducing the mental calculation skills of students.
Acknowledgments. This work has been supported by Polytechnic University of Madrid.
Keywords: Octave, Computer simulation.