THE METAL FORMING RESEARCH CENTRE OF “LUCIAN BLAGA” UNIVERSITY OF SIBIU – CLOSING THE GAP BETWEEN THE HIGHER EDUCATION RESEARCH AND THE INDUSTRY
“Lucian Blaga” University of Sibiu (ROMANIA)
About this paper:
Appears in: INTED2015 Proceedings
Publication year: 2015
Conference name: 9th International Technology, Education and Development Conference
Dates: 2-4 March, 2015
Location: Madrid, Spain
Abstract:The Metal Forming Research Centre is a distinct research unit within "Lucian Blaga" University of Sibiu. This is one of the first centres of this kind within the Romanian higher education system and it was founded under the framework or the TEMPUS interuniversity programme.
The centre has within its structure research facilities, laboratories, offices, library, which totals a surface greater than 400 square metres.
The continuous development of the centre over the years has made it possible to be evaluated and recognized in 2002 as a research centre according to the Romanian National Council of Scientific Research within Higher Education criteria.
The team of the centre includes research and teaching personnel (15 persons), Ph.D students (6 persons) and auxiliary personnel (3 persons).
The Metal Forming Research Centre has an experimental basis equipped with modern equipment, according to the latest industry standards.
Experimental researches are performed in three laboratories of the centre:
- Metal forming and injection equipment and technologies laboratory which includes two experimental bases with an overall surface greater than 150 square meters. It also includes classrooms for theoretical training activities
- Automation devices and robots laboratory, which is equipped with hardware device which allows the development of flexible, modular automation systems for manufacturing processes
- Numerically controlled machine tools laboratory, which is equipped with vertical CNC machining centers
The centre acts as both as technology transfer pole for the industrial companies within Sibiu area and as research partner. The main research themes are:
- Developing new equipment and technologies (conventional and non-conventional) for metal forming
- CAD\CAE\CAM approaches in metal forming
- Optimization of the mechanical structure of presses and other technological equipment by means of Finite Element Method analysis
- Modeling and dynamic simulation of technological processes
- Developing new automation systems for technological equipments
- Assessment of the environmental impact of the industrial technologies and waste management
The centre also provides technical support services for industrial partners, including:
- Support in technology transfer
- Technical assistance in the development and implementation of new projects and / or products
- Carrying out measurements or determinations on specific equipment
- Performing technological operation on the machines
- Elaboration of technical reports
The Metal Forming Research Centre is also authorized to organize training and specialization courses for technical staff with higher education (engineers) and medium education (workers, technicians and foremen), the issued diplomas being recognized by the Ministry of National Education and the Ministry of Labour, Family and Social Protection of Romania.
Keywords: Research centre, metal forming, technology transfer, technical support.