ASSESSMENT OF THE IMPACT SELECTED FACTORS HAVEN ON THE EXPECTATIONS OF FULL-TIME STUDENTS – A CASE STUDY
Purpose - The changing conditions of the surrounding environment as well as the development of technology have been altering the man’s view on the world around him. At the same time, individual, personal development, connected with the entering into adulthood and, consequently, associated with changes in the perception of the world, cause young people to have different ideas about their future.
The aim of the article is to assess the impact of subsequent stages of education on the students' perception of the future. The analysis will allow answering the following research questions:
1. Does the students’ perception of the future and the related career change over time?
2. Are students able to assess the country’s current economic situation?
3. Do the students' expectations regarding the level of future earnings change over time?
4. Is it possible to identify the factors determining the students' expectations as to the level of future earnings?
The analysis contained in the research is based on a survey conducted among full-time students, at the Faculty of Management, at the University of Gdańsk, in the academic year 2018/2019. The study was conducted among all the students present during classes, therefore it can be considered as a full study. Answers to the research questions posed were based on a statistical analysis and on econometric models describing the relevant relationships. The models were estimated and verified using appropriate statistical tests. The Gretl and Excel programs were used for calculations.
The results obtained indicate that:
1) Students are not always able to identify their expectations regarding their future careers.
2) Students are moderately able to describe the country’s current economic condition.
3) No statistically significant changes in time, regarding the students’ expectations of future earnings, were observed.
4) The factors that influence the students’ expected level of future earnings of cannot be clearly identified.
The analyzes prepared based on the questionnaire survey allow assessment of the students’ opinions, depending on the year of study, hence they allow determination of whether the students’ opinions have been changing in a dynamic way. Modern didactics, which implements various activating techniques by teaching independence, cooperation and codecision making, overcoming limitations, is to increase the educational effectiveness by motivating students to expand their broadly understood economic knowledge.
The observation included only the accounting and econometrics students. In the future, research should also be carried out among students of other majors at the University of Gdańsk. The study also constitutes a basis for adjustment of schools’ the educational offer. On the one hand, it pertains to adjustment to growing requirements employers demand from employees, and on the other, to the expectations of the young people who want to get an attractive and well-paid job.