EXPECTATIONS OF THE FULL-TIME ACCOUNTING AND ECONOMETRICS STUDENTS, IN THE LIGHT OF THE FUTURE CAREER – A COMPARATIVE ANALYSIS
Didactics in modern times, in addition to scientific research, constitutes the meaning of existence of every higher education institution. The main purpose of modern education is to educate the student’s personality, including his/her positive attitude towards learning as well as awakening the curiosity of the world, developing individual cognitive abilities.
The purpose of this article is to compare the expectations regarding the possibilities of obtaining a satisfying future job on the part of the students of two different economics majors, i.e. accounting and econometrics. In particular, the conducted analysis will allow answering the following research questions:
1. Do the students clearly identify their expectations in terms of their future professional jobs?
2. Are the expectations regarding the level of future earnings the same for the students of both majors?
3. Do the students intend to obtain further education (an additional study major, doctoral studies)?
The analysis contained in the research is based on the questionnaire survey carried out among the part-time students at the Faculty of Management of the Gdansk University, in the academic year 2017/2018. The study was carried out among all the students present in classes, thus it can be considered as a full study. The answers to the posed research questions were provided based on a statistical analysis and logit models describing relevant dependencies. The models were estimated and verified using relevant statistical tests. Calculations were performed using the Gretl package.
Findings. The results obtained indicate that:
1) the students of the accounting major have more precise professional expectations and understand the requirement of further education, which is connected with the need to constantly acquire knowledge in the field of accounting;
2) no statistically significant differences have been observed between the students of accounting and econometrics in reference to the expectations regarding future earnings;
3) accounting students are more interested in acquisition of practical knowledge and thus are more interested in participating in various forms of education outside the university.
Originality / value:
The studies allow a statement that young people are ready for sacrifices in the name of gaining professional experience. This is why it is so important to encourage young people to participate in various types of competitions and internships or meetings with employers, especially at an early stage of their studies.
The issue of adapting higher education to the expectations of the labor market is a long-term process requiring engagement of all government parties, higher education institutions and employers. It is also necessary for the higher education institutions to cooperate with employers and professional organizations, which will lead not only to creation of educational programs that are in line with the expectations of the labor market, but will also serve the development of career paths – programs enabling students to find jobs.