NEW PROFESSIONAL SKILLS OF TEACHER
About this paper:
Appears in: INTED2013 Proceedings
Publication year: 2013
Conference name: 7th International Technology, Education and Development Conference
Dates: 4-5 March, 2013
Location: Valencia, Spain
Abstract:In a school that is characterized as a complex organization the professional figure of the teacher takes on a leading role. In the last years the figure of the teacher has changed completely, he stops broadcasting culture and knowledge already decoded and now he creates an educational environment that stimulates knowledge, he starts from the ability of each person and he implements personalized teaching, he doesn't transmit culture, but he creates it. The figure of the teacher, therefore, to respond to new social demands and cultural undergoes a cultural and systemic change. He must be a teacher that can manage the learning process in a school that is characterized by its quality. The concept of teacher quality is a complex and multidisciplinary concept and it has given rise to numerous debates and a lot of research and publications. It is necessary to explain what skills are necessary for the teacher to understand the professional profile of the teacher. He must have specialized knowledge about knowledge, method, communication, assessment and professional ethics.
• The knowledge regards the core concepts of the disciplines of study, the grammar of disciplines, cultural heritage, epistemological know. The teacher will facilitate the organization of knowledge and the acquisition of skills in active and constructive way for all students. He will promote a reinforcement of knowledge structures, the so-called "cognitive maps" or "knowledge networks".
• The method regards the theoretical knowledge about learning and human behaviour they are the ability to read the needs and problems of the student and of the classroom community, but also the context of family, social and cultural development of each student.The teacher must create the "background" for the learning experience, promote a positive relational climate based on reciprocity, cooperation and individual responsibility. A climate that encourages positive social and emotional communication.
• The communication regards the students, but also the social context in which the school is on. Therefore he must know the techniques of verbal and non-verbal communication, he must send clear and complete messages, he must diversify the language, he must control the facial expressions and posture, he must show coherence between feelings, emotions and behaviours, he must encourages dialogue with and among students.
• The assessment regards the ability of regulation of the teaching process, the feed-back of the educational process, he must relate processes, actions and behaviour achieved by the student. The teacher must consider assessment as a promotional moment of the educational process. The teacher must know the main techniques and strategies of evaluation.
• Professional ethics concerns the role of the teacher, he is a witness to values, he is involved in the intellectual development of the student, but also of its social formation. He must promote tolerance, democracy, freedom, providing models of behaviour such as shared values, he must recognize and disseminate social, sexual, religious, ethnic equality, he must be consistent in the way of acting, he formed with his example.
Keywords: Know communication assessment method teaching profession quality.