Could not download file: This paper is available to authorised users only.


J. Sanchis-Gimeno1, C. Pascual-Banos1, M. Herrera-Lara2, F. Martinez-Soriano1

1University of Valencia (SPAIN)
2University of Alicante (SPAIN)
The aim of the present study was to analyse the effect of teaching changes, implemented for the European Higher Education Area, on the grades of Gross Anatomy students.
In this study current teaching methods of Gross Anatomy have been submitted to review. With the aid of a prospective study, the effect of teaching changes for the European Higher Education Area regarding students’ grades was analysed. In this study one group (the case group, n=32, 29.35%) received an active and constructive methodology; the other (the control group, n=77, 70.64%) received traditional teaching methods (expositive method, oral transmission of knowledge, lectures).The control group received conventional Gross Anatomy teaching while the case group received teaching modified to cater to the European Higher Education Area requirements. Summary of the teaching methodology used in the case group included fewer lectures where the students were encouraged to participate actively by discussing pertinent points with the teacher and debating amongst themselves, seminars held, practical sessions in the laboratory, use of internet forums, use of Weblog for problem-based learning in anatomy, use of chat-rooms, use of e-mail, tutorials in small groups, individual tutorials, self-assessment tests and grading program based on the portfolio system.
The grades obtained by the control group (conventional teaching) were not as good as those obtained by the case group (innovative teaching): Twenty-four students (31.16%) in the control group failed the subject, whereas all the students in the case group passed. Our results suggest that the methodology changes implemented to cater to the future European Higher Education Area are positive for Gross Anatomy teaching.