PIEMECO: AN INNOVATIVE EDUCATIONAL PROJECT
Universidad Politécnica de Madrid (Escuela de Obras Públicas) (SPAIN)
About this paper:
Conference name: 4th International Conference on Education and New Learning Technologies
Dates: 2-4 July, 2012
Location: Barcelona, Spain
Abstract:In 2005-06 academic year, the Universidad Politécnica of Madrid started an innovative educational program strategy by supporting every year innovative educational processes.
During 2010-11 and 2011-12 academic years, the main focus of the actions developed at the Universidad Politécnica of Madrid were to facilitate putting into gear the new academic degrees and also to make easier the extinction process related to degrees corresponding to Studies Programs previous to R.D. 1393/2007.
Following these lines, the Innovative Educational Project PIEMECO was born in 2010 due to the interest and worries of a group of teachers and managers at the Escuela Universitaria de Obras Públicas.
During 2010-11 y 2011-12 academic year, PIEMECO, included in to a global School Project, has been taking some initiatives in the field of Pedagogical Innovations in Education by using new Learning and Teaching Methodologies.
Innovative educational actions taken by PIEMECO during these two academic year have followed six lines of work:
- The organization of singular groups composed by students who access late in time to the academic courses of the new Bachelor’s degree on Civil Engineering.
- The academic adaptation of the students that enter by the first time to the Civil Engineering degree, looking after their different initial situation.
- The implementation of supporting actions to the English language learning by students of the new Civil Engineering degree.
- The improvement of the coordination between academic subjects of the new Civil Engineering degree.
- The integration of teaching strategies and assessment of generic competencies with the learning strategies on specific competencies.
- The academic adaptation of the students of the previous Public Works degree who can’t take presential courses.
The whole set of actions developed by PIEMECO is framed into an Innovative Educational Project build for and with the students of the old and the new Civil Engineering Degree, the main goal being to get their integration, to acquire a good knowledge of English language and also to develop tranversal competencies about leading teams, team working, oral and written communicating, etc. as well as to get specific competencies in a well coordinated Studies Program.
Keywords: Innovation, learning, teaching, educational.