TUTORIAL ACTION IN “BUILDING MATERIALS” SUBJECT FOR CONSTRUCTION ENGINEERING STUDENTS
Teaching project undertaken in this job realized in the High Polytechnic School of the University of Burgos, is part of the Building Engineering career, with Construction Materials subject, given in the first academic year, with a teaching load of 12 credits.
The teaching of the subject Building Materials seeks to provide students with the necessary knowledge of materials to use in their work. These objectives emphasize:
• Understanding the origin and formation of natural materials used in construction, and raw materials used in the manufacture of artificial.
• Understand the manufacturing processes and physical-chemical changes produced by these processes in order to explain the properties of the products obtained.
• Learn the properties of materials and their behavior and reaction medium in which they will be willing to analyze their pathology.
• Recognize existing commercial forms in the market and its qualities and technical terminology.
• Meet certain orders of magnitude of the materials commonly used in construction.
• Learning to seek and learn to apply the current rules.
Most technical careers, such as the Building Engineering, bear a heavy teaching load that in many cases is difficult to cover and overtaken by the student, in an efficient manner and inside the teaching period of the course.
For this reason, has been carried out during the summer months until September, mentored work experience in students who have been close to a properly approved of the course but without reaching a clear manner the knowledge necessary to pass the subject
The working method consisted of a series of files, which include short questions, themes, multiple short questions, and practical problems of each of the topics on the subject that students must complete. These files are made available for students through the UbuCampus computer tool, inside the student's personal space on the website of the University of Burgos. All delivery dates are planned of each of the tokens in sequence during the summer months.
Planning includes tutoring and individual attention on line and by phone for at least 4 hours, once a week, in time previously established. During each of the weeksin this summer that work takes place provides a teacher responsible for the subject, answerable for the care and tutoring to students.
The correctly resolution and within established deadlines leads to the acquisition of competencies and skills needed to pass the subject in September, without the need for additional theorical or practical exam.
This working method has proved to be effective and attractive to the student profile that, after making an effort to approve the course discipline and not reach the minimum required for a short reach, successfuly, with participation, personal effort, order and continuity, pass the subject.