USE AND DOCUMENTATION OF ASSESSMENT DATA: NEW ONLINE ASSESSMENT RELATED MODULE
Universidad Metropolitana (PUERTO RICO)
About this paper:
Appears in: INTED2014 Proceedings
Publication year: 2014
Conference name: 8th International Technology, Education and Development Conference
Dates: 10-12 March, 2014
Location: Valencia, Spain
Abstract:Universidad Metropolitana (UMET) is a non-profit institution part of Ana G. Mendez University System (AGMUS) With 14,000 students and about 1000 faculty each semester. Annually UMET manage different instruments for measure the Student Learning Outcomes (SLO). UMET integrated the use of an online tool to assist in the assessment processes and facilitate a quicker use of results to close the loop. Assessment Related Module (ARM) is the on-line assessment module that comprises part of the Student Tracking System platform at UMET, in use since 2007. Full implementation has taken place and this strategic decision has had a positive impact on the ongoing assessment procedures and given way to a highly organized and sustainable assessment process. Furthermore, it has significantly improved data reporting, data analysis, and the management of assessment results to make informed decisions at the course, program, academic unit, and institutional level – all of which systematically close the assessment loop.
ARM gather and organize data form different sources like data entered by any user who work directly with students and data from UMET´s main data management system: Banner.
Other futures included in ARM are:
1. Pre-configured reporting forms for all courses offered on a given academic term
2. Intuitive and easy to use application that shows users the information they need avoiding distraction and confusions with information they don´t need at the moment.
3. A comprehensive data base allow users to generate queries combining any data needed to assess student learning.
Among the available data user can find:
a. Degree audit information like different program related to each student, grades, course schedule, education plan ahead and detailed cohort based retention status information.
b. Co-curricular activities and other support services information like tutoring and workshops.
c. Multiple and detailed assessment data available to make longitudinal and cross referenced analysis.
d. Early Warning detailed information.
4. User can attach evidence of teaching materials and assessment techniques or any other relevant document to the assessment report.
5. Pre-designed comprehensive reports and the functionality to create any new report using SQL. Both type of reports can be easily exported in multiple formats allowing the user to integrate the information form ARM in any other application.
Keywords: Assessment, Assessment of student learning, learning assessment, online assessment module, tracking system, student tracking, assessment data, learning outcomes.