TRAINING HEALTH PROFESSIONALS TO PREVENT HIV AND SYPHILIS VERTICAL TRANSMISSION. A COLLABORATION BETWEEN THE CIVIL SOCIETY, THE MINISTRY OF HEALTH, AND THE ACADEMY
1 Instituto Nacional de Salud Pública (MEXICO)
2 Balance Promoción para el Desarrollo y Juventud A.C (MEXICO)
About this paper:
Conference name: 8th International Conference on Education and New Learning Technologies
Dates: 4-6 July, 2016
Location: Barcelona, Spain
Abstract:The vertical transmission prevention is a priority matter for the World Health Organization (WHO), the United Nations Program on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS) and for Mexico with its Specific HIV/AIDS Care Program. However, Mexico has limited coverage of prenatal prevention in relation to the available resources and infrastructure. The prevention of vertical transmissions in HIV decreases to 2% and Syphilis to 0% when pregnant women are timely diagnosed and given proper treatment.
Physicians, obstetricians and health professionals, need to be actively involved in offering HIV and Syphilis tests, providing information to pregnant women about the benefits for herself and her baby. For this reason, the online course "Prevention of HIV and Syphilis vertical transmission, in first and second levels of attention" was produced. The course aims to strengthen the information that health professionals have on the efficiency of the prevention of HIV and Syphilis vertical transmission, as well as the relevance of timely diagnosis to improve the health of women and their babies, while promoting the routine diagnostic testing.
This course was designed with the altruistic collaboration of the Balance Promotion for development and youth program, a civil society organizations, and the National Institute of Public Health (INSP in Spanish). Nevertheless, the call for participants of the National Center Prevention and Control of HIV and AIDS (CENSIDA in Spanish) of the Ministry of Health, was fundamental.
The educational methodology was based on the INSP model of competencies, and the production of the course was conducted by a multidisciplinary team of educational technology experts, under a self directed, without tutors design.
The course has been implemented 5 times since 2013 with a total of 2.198 participants; the "no show" percentage was 46%, and of the remaining 54 % (1.177 participants), 70% developed the pre-establish competencies:
• Recognize the real vulnerability HIV factors for women, to improve the prevention coverage of vertical transmission.
• Identify the advantages of offering HIV and Syphilis tests to pregnant women in order to establish an effective intervention of vertical transmission prevention.
• Increase the routine offer, with informed consent and counseling, of HIV and Syphilis tests, emphasizing the benefits they have for pregnant women and their babies.
• Increase knowledge on detection and treatment to prevent HIV and Syphilis vertical transmission to expand the routine offer of tests in prenatal care.
• Identify the care algorithm to offer HIV and Syphilis tests to pregnant women.
The results have shown to be positive; 825 participants have been trained in a course that had no initial funding, showing that when there is political will, positive results can be obtained. This course is an example of how civil society organizations, the government sector and academia can make progresses in the updating and training of health professionals. This also points out that a self management design can be massif for future interventions.
Keywords: Vertical transmission, Education in heath, VIH, Syphilis, MOOC, Mexico.