APPLICATION OF THE GREEN PHARMACY PRINCIPLES TO IMPROVE THE ENVIRONMENTAL SUSTAINABILITY AT SAN JORGE UNIVERSITY
This teaching innovation activity has been performed as the final task of the Green and Sustainable Pharmacy subject (5th course of Pharmacy degree) in collaboration with the office Greencampus of San Jorge University (USJ).
Students had to suggest alternatives in laboratory experiments of the Pharmacy Experimental Practical Program. These changes should be based on the principles of green pharmacy. If the proposals are appropriate, they will be implemented next year. Changes in laboratory experiments will luckily reduce the environmental impact of the University and also help to meet several goals of environmental improvement of Environmental Management System (EMS).
With this activity, the students are supposed to achieve the following objectives:
- Apply the principles of the Green Pharmacy in a real laboratory
- Quantify the environmental improvement of their proposal, using the techniques learned.
- Evaluate their proposal attending to the Green Pharmacy principles based on scientific methods.
- Calculate the environmental impact of laboratory activities.
- Be aware that small actions can produce environmental benefits.
- Reduce environmental impact of USJ using the principles of the Green Pharmacy.
As strong point, this activity has been highly motivating for the students; performed at the end of their studies, they are aware of the negative impact that the pharmaceutical industry generates in the environment. This negative view is offset by proposals for tangible solutions and thanks to this final activity, students perceive that can improve the environment with small actions.