1 Universitat de València (SPAIN)
2 Universidad Rey Juan Carlos (SPAIN)
3 IFF Benicarló (SPAIN)
About this paper:
Appears in: EDULEARN22 Proceedings
Publication year: 2022
Pages: 6888-6893
ISBN: 978-84-09-42484-9
ISSN: 2340-1117
doi: 10.21125/edulearn.2022.1619
Conference name: 14th International Conference on Education and New Learning Technologies
Dates: 4-6 July, 2022
Location: Palma, Spain
The declaration of the state of alarm in March 2020 by the Spanish government, as a consequence of the spread of the SARS-CoV-2 virus, meant that measures were adopted at all educational stages to enable the continuity of the academic year. In the case of Higher Education, an increase took place in the use of communication platforms, online questionnaires hosted on learning platforms (Moodle, Virtual Classroom, ...), etc.

The use of these tools has been maintained throughout the 2020-2021 academic year, characterized by uncertainty regarding teaching modalities as a consequence of the evolution of the pandemic. It is within this scenario that the work presented is framed. Due to the importance of evaluating the impact that the health alarm had on the teaching-learning process of students, and more specifically on the suitability of the measures adopted by teachers, this study assesses both aspects from the student's point of view. To this end, an ad-hoc questionnaire was prepared and completed by students of seven subjects corresponding to the curricula of two public universities (Universitat de València and Universidad Rey Juan Carlos), and who in the aforementioned academic year were enrolled in either undergraduate studies (80% of them) or postgraduate studies (the remaining 20%).

A first descriptive study allows us to conclude that the management of the teaching staff was more than acceptable (average rating of 8.9 out of 10), although postgraduate students gave a higher average rating than undergraduate students (9.5 compared to 8.7). A subsequent inferential analysis leads to the conclusion that the gap between these educational levels is statistically significant. Coupling these results with some indicators of academic performance (average attendance rate of 92%, and 75% approvals among attendants) seems to suggest that the measures adopted satisfactorily cushioned the impact of the health alarm on the students’ learning process.
Health alarm, degree, postgraduate, teaching-learning process, inferential analysis.