About this paper

Appears in:
Pages: 1687-1692
Publication year: 2013
ISBN: 978-84-616-3847-5
ISSN: 2340-1095

Conference name: 6th International Conference of Education, Research and Innovation
Dates: 18-20 November, 2013
Location: Seville, Spain

PROBLEM BASED LEARNING IMPLEMENTATION IN THE DEGREE OF HUMAN NUTRITION AND DIETETICS

A. Lasa, I. Txurruka, E. Simón, J. Miranda

University of the Basque Country, Faculty of Pharmacy (SPAIN)
The active methodology of Problem Based Learning (PBL) was introduced in the course Human Nutrition. This subject is taught in the degree of Human Nutrition and Dietetics in the 2nd semester of the 2nd year, and with an academic load of 9 ECTS.

The general objective of PBL implementation is the development of specific and cross skills by students. It is important to point out that traditional methodologies have not shown to cover in depth cross skills. The activity was designed in order to enable students to achieve the following specific skills: a)to express themselves correctly when explaining basic concepts related to the nutritional value of foods and the utilization of nutrients and other components, b)to describe in detail nutrients, their functions, their use, daily needs, dietary sources and health-dangers concerning their excessive or deficient intake c)to correlate the physiological characteristics of each age group with their nutritional needs, d)to obtain and explain new information about topics related to recent human nutrition and its usefulness in healthy individuals, e)to support a critical attitude against misleading food advertisements and their possible effects on body functions.

We also aimed to develop the following generic skills:
1) collaborative-work
2) analysis and synthesis of information
3) management of basic Information and Communications Technology tools used in the field of Foods, Nutrition and Dietetics
4) achievement of an autonomous learning

The implementation of PBL was partial. It was combined with conventional lectures and practical sessions from the beginning to the end of the course. In sum, forty percent of the subject was taught by PBL methodology and the remaining sixty percent by conventional methodology.

For the development of our objectives, two structural problems were designed. One was related to the utilization of the nutrients in the body, and the other concerned the energy expenditure. One global question was proposed for each problem. The idea was that the students take into consideration certain basic topics, since we proposed a constructivist learning methodology. In this line, we provided a set of questions which helped students to solve partially the global question. Likewise, this global issue became the guiding principle for the development of the proposed activity and the construction of learning.

To evaluate almost all generic skills (90%), we designed a specific matrix (using the tool RubiStar). For evaluation of the remaining 10% another tool was designed, that allowed the evaluation by students from members of the same group (self-evaluation) as people from other groups (evaluation).

Regarding the assessment of PBL methodology, apart from the opinion of the teachers, we sought the views of the participating students through a survey addressed the following aspects: general assessment of the experience, learning assistance compared with other methodologies, difficulties and possible improvements.

The used indicators show an improvement in the acquisition of specific and generic skills. The evaluation of this methodology by the students has been very successful. An important point to note is that the students highlighted the teamwork and interaction with the rest of the group as an enriching element. Furthermore, as stated by the questionnaires, the students approved PBL activities and preferred working in teams to working individually and/or to conventional teaching.
@InProceedings{LASA2013PRO,
author = {Lasa, A. and Txurruka, I. and Sim{\'{o}}n, E. and Miranda, J.},
title = {PROBLEM BASED LEARNING IMPLEMENTATION IN THE DEGREE OF HUMAN NUTRITION AND DIETETICS},
series = {6th International Conference of Education, Research and Innovation},
booktitle = {ICERI2013 Proceedings},
isbn = {978-84-616-3847-5},
issn = {2340-1095},
publisher = {IATED},
location = {Seville, Spain},
month = {18-20 November, 2013},
year = {2013},
pages = {1687-1692}}
TY - CONF
AU - A. Lasa AU - I. Txurruka AU - E. Simón AU - J. Miranda
TI - PROBLEM BASED LEARNING IMPLEMENTATION IN THE DEGREE OF HUMAN NUTRITION AND DIETETICS
SN - 978-84-616-3847-5/2340-1095
PY - 2013
Y1 - 18-20 November, 2013
CI - Seville, Spain
JO - 6th International Conference of Education, Research and Innovation
JA - ICERI2013 Proceedings
SP - 1687
EP - 1692
ER -
A. Lasa, I. Txurruka, E. Simón, J. Miranda (2013) PROBLEM BASED LEARNING IMPLEMENTATION IN THE DEGREE OF HUMAN NUTRITION AND DIETETICS, ICERI2013 Proceedings, pp. 1687-1692.
User:
Pass: