PROJECT WORK IN TEACHING ENGLISH AT TECHNICAL UNIVERSITY
In the last decade of the twentieth century, our country was seized by a wave of computing, new technological discoveries and new technologies in spheres of human life. There have been many great changes in education as well. The use of new information and teaching techniques is considered to be the basis of teaching and raising students. The essence of today’s education is characterized by communicative way of teaching English. The urgency for seeking new methods and new technologies arises. That is why what we teach and how we teach are of equal importance.
When we mention new techniques we mean lessons using business and role plays, cooperative learning, RWCT, development of critical thinking through reading and writing, Project work, etc.
At our University we always seek new methods in teaching English. Among all the methods applied, we want to dwell upon Project work and share our experiences in this field.
The aim of this article is to show the advantage of Project Method in teaching a foreign language. We consider Project Method to be very effective due to the following:
1) As Project Work gives the students the possibility of expressing their own ideas, you shouldn’t be very strict on their projects, let them be more individual.
2) The projects should not be put into certain frames; Additional matters should also be applied.
3) Most projects may be completed individually, but it would be more creative if they are done in a group.
4) Project Method is different from other methods by its novelty and original decision, it is individual.
5) The most important feature as far as Project Method is concerned is that students can freely speak their minds, whatever they think.
This method is more effective because it enlarges the students’ vocabulary, develops their critical thinking, enlarges their scope of mind, gets them involved in the educational process and makes them active.