THE PARTICIPATORY ACTION RESEARCH FOR A DEVELOPMENT OF POTENTIAL ENHANCEMENT MODEL FOR SUPERVISORS AND COOPERATING TEACHERS TO DEVELOP THE ABILITIES TO BE MENTORS FOR STUDENT TEACHERS
The research aimed to:
1) study fundamental information, conditions and needs for model development
2) develop an enhancement model with great potential for supervisors and cooperative teachers to apply in order to be mentors for student teachers
3) study the effectiveness of the model through these procedures (3.1) to assess the abilities of the supervisors and cooperative teachers as mentors (3.2) to evaluate the student teachers’ capabilities of instruction (3.3) to study the satisfaction on the model from the supervisors and teachers (3.4) to investigate the student teachers’ satisfaction on the model and
4) examine the best practice for increasing the mentorship abilities among the supervisors, teachers.
Research methodology applied the participatory action research, research and development, mixed method as well. The sample comprised of 7 supervisors, 31 cooperative teachers and 31 student teachers. The data was analyzed by mean, standard deviation, t-test and content analysis.
The results were shown as follows:
1) The developed model was named “A Potential Enhancement Model for Supervisors and Cooperative Teachers to develop the abilities to be Mentors for Student Teachers”. Components of the model consisted of principles, objectives and processes divided into 4 phrases : Preparing phase (P1) , Planning phase (P2), Practicing of Mentors phase (P3),Progression and Assessment phase (P4).
2) After using the model, the achievement of the supervisors and cooperative teachers on the mentorship abilities was higher significantly at the level of .01 When the student teachers assessed themselves with the supervisors and teachers, it was found that their learning management was higher significantly at the level of .01 Furthermore, satisfaction of the first on using the model was rated at the highest level ( = 4.84, S.D. = 0.35); for which of the latter was the high level ( = 4.37, S.D. = 0.71). Additionally
3) The best practice necessary for being the good mentors was appearance, performance and potential in professional working.