TOWARDS BLENDED LEARNING IMPLEMENTATION IN THE EDUCATIONAL PROCESS FOR THE STUDENTS OF NON-LINGUISTIC SPECIALITIES IN SOUTH URAL STATE UNIVERSITY
South Ural State University (RUSSIAN FEDERATION)
About this paper:
Conference name: 12th International Conference on Education and New Learning Technologies
Dates: 6-7 July, 2020
Location: Online Conference
Abstract:Level system of foreign language learning is a widespread world practice. It is successfully implemented by leading universities around the world. In recent years, there has been an increasing interest in blended learning that combines online and face-to-face classroom practices. Since 2016, South Ural State University has been implementing this practice within the frameworks of Project 5-100. The main goal of which is to transform the university into a SMART one in order to form the basis for the region’s sustainable development and make a significant contribution to education and science of the whole world.
In connection with this program the key aspects of blended learning system are: the development of individual activity style depending on the initial level of language proficiency; placement tests development in order to form groups by levels with online support for them; working out the appropriate score-rating system for monitoring students' progress at each level. Also, for the first time the university has applied the final results assessment practice in accordance with the international exams format such as KET, PET and IELTS.
The aim of our research is to study the satisfaction level of students of non-linguistic specialties from the quality of education and to analyze the implementation process of the blended learning method.
During the research the following tasks were set and solved:
1. The experience of using blended learning in educational process was analyzed;
2. The comparative analysis of the initial and final level of language proficiency for the students of non-linguistic specialties was made;
3. The features of A1- B2 online support were described;
4. The types of classroom and extracurricular activities were considered (the percentage of independent and classroom work);
5. The level of satisfaction among students of non-linguistic specialties from the quality of education in the context of the educational program and the implementation of the blended learning system was analyzed.
In conclusion it should be noted that this research has shown that the implementation of blended learning method in educational process has a positive impact on students' learning. As a result of it, the level of students` satisfaction has become higher.
Keywords: Language learning system, blended learning, score-rating system, independent work, online support, Project 5-100.