APPLICATION OF A QUALITY MANAGEMENT SYSTEM TO UNIVERSITY RESEARCH GROUP
Universidad Pais Vasco (SPAIN)
About this paper:
Conference name: 3rd International Technology, Education and Development Conference
Dates: 9-11 March, 2009
Location: Valencia, Spain
Abstract:The purpose of this project is to apply a quality management system based on family ISO 9000 to a university research group.
The rapid development of technology and the changes in university require a good Quality Management System (QMS). In order to develop this area the Biolfiltration Group at the University Basque Country designed a QMS, in the Chemical and Environmental Engineering Department, in cooperation with a final year student of Industrial Organization Engineering.
The main goals of the project carried out by this student in coordination with the Biofiltration group were as follows:
• Clearly identify the group objectives.
• Establish a theoretical and practical framework for every objective or activity.
• Increase motivation and participation of all the group members in this project, including directors, try to enhance Quality Culture inside the group.
• Enforce standards like ISO 9000.
• Develop the documents that QMS requires such as Quality Manual, Procedures Manual, Instructions Manual and Format Manual.
• Highlight the benefits of QMS implementation and interaction with other expert group so students and teachers understand that managing any organization or group also implies proper Quality Management.
Any efficient organization system requires the identification and management of a large number of activities. A QMS of this nature can improve coordination between the teaching staff involved in this project and the students who work in this type of group.