CONCERNS OF PRE-ADOLESCENT CHILDREN IN PRIMARY SCHOOLS IN CHINA: FOCUSING ON CONSULTING PARTNERS AND FACTORS INHIBITING CONSULTATION
1 University of Tsukuba, Doctoral Program in Disability Sciences, Graduate School of Coprehensive Human Sciences (JAPAN)
2 Yokohama National University (JAPAN)
3 University of Tsukuba, Faculty Human Sciences (JAPAN)
About this paper:
Conference name: 15th annual International Conference of Education, Research and Innovation
Dates: 7-9 November, 2022
Location: Seville, Spain
Abstract:This research examines the possibility of intervention in educational counseling, from the viewpoint of preventing maladjustment to school life in primary school pre-adolescent children. Research on the consciousness of the pre-adolescent child in a local city of Jiangxi Province was conducted to ascertain the following:
1) What kind of concerns pre-adolescent children (upper grades) have that exist in daily life.
2) Which type of persons are chosen as confidants when they are concerned about something.
3) Factors inhibiting consultation.
4) Solutions to their concerns.
The results indicated as follows:
1) It was confirmed that most children had concerns. There were many concerns regarding learning and social psychology.
2) It was confirmed that the confidants who were chosen were different according to the type of concerns. In some cases, the teacher was seen as a consulting partner,but the proportion tended to be comparatively small. When there was no appropriate consulting partner, there was a tendency to choose a non-human consulting partner, either an object or an animal, in order to ease their concerns.
3) According to the types of concerns, there was a difference in factors inhibiting consultation and a lack of consultation skills in the whole process of inhibiting consultation. Consultation skills should be acquired.
4) It was confirmed that further study would be necessary to find solutions to children’s concerns.
Keywords: Pre-adolescent children, concerns, confidants, factors inhibiting consultation.