PEACE BY PIECE: TAKING THE FEAR OUT OF MUSIC COMPOSITION
“PEACE by PIECE: Taking the FEAR out of Music Composition,” chronicles a semester-long composition project inspired by the work of author, Greg Mortenson. Students were required to attend GREG MORTENSON’S presentation at Viterbo University and find a word or phrase that might serve as the basis for a musical composition. The culmination of the project was a performance of the students’ original works.
The course of the project contained four phases that will be displayed on the poster:
1) Stimulating Creativity: Developing a Concept
2) Pen to Paper: Creating a Draft while Overcoming Obstacles
3) Finishing Touches: Polishing the Draft
In addition to the four phases of the project, rubrics will be displayed that show how the following student learning outcomes were assessed:
• Students will explore a variety of techniques to overcoming obstacles in the creative process.
• Students will learn Sibelius and/or Finale music writing software programs.
• Students will develop collaborative skills in the editing and performance phases of the project.