About this paper

Appears in:
Pages: 9931-9934
Publication year: 2019
ISBN: 978-84-09-08619-1
ISSN: 2340-1079
doi: 10.21125/inted.2019.2485

Conference name: 13th International Technology, Education and Development Conference
Dates: 11-13 March, 2019
Location: Valencia, Spain

COMPARISON OF THE RESULTS OBTAINED IN THE GENETICS AND PLANT BREEDING SUBJECT AFTER THE ADAPTATION TO THE EUROPEAN HIGHER EDUCATION AREA (EHEA) IN THE UNIVERSITY MIGUEL HERNÁNDEZ

S. García-Martínez, A. Alonso, J.J. Ruiz

University Miguel Hernández (SPAIN)
In 2010, the UMH began the progressive introduction of the Degree in Agrifood and Agroenvironmental Engineering (GIAA), replacing the Bachelor in Agricultural Technical Engineering (ITA). The subject Genetics and Plant Breeding is taught in the third year of both degrees. In the ITA, it was evaluated with a single final test, consisting of 50 multiple choice questions. In GIAA a mixed evaluation is used, in which the final exam represents 65% of the final grade and the continuous assessment the remaining 35%. We have compared the results obtained in the four last academic years of ITA with the six first academic years of GIAA. The average final grade obtained in the ITA (6,63 out of 10) was slightly higher than those obtained in GIAA (6,43 out of 10). However, the average percentage of students who passed the subject in the first examination period, in relation to either the number of students assessed (success rate) or the total number of students enrolled (achievement rate) were clearly higher in GIAA (93,12% and 87,23%, respectively) than in ITA (83,94% and 77,82%, respectively. The average percentage of students who do not sit the exams to be assessed (not assessed rate) was slightly lower in GIAA than in ITA (6,35% and 7,28%, respectively). Although the introduction of continuous assessment in the subject Genetics and Plant Breeding has not increased the average final grade of the subject, it has clearly improved the success and achievement rate.
@InProceedings{GARCIAMARTINEZ2019COM,
author = {Garc{\'{i}}a-Mart{\'{i}}nez, S. and Alonso, A. and Ruiz, J.J.},
title = {COMPARISON OF THE RESULTS OBTAINED IN THE GENETICS AND PLANT BREEDING SUBJECT AFTER THE ADAPTATION TO THE EUROPEAN HIGHER EDUCATION AREA (EHEA) IN THE UNIVERSITY MIGUEL HERN{\'{A}}NDEZ},
series = {13th International Technology, Education and Development Conference},
booktitle = {INTED2019 Proceedings},
isbn = {978-84-09-08619-1},
issn = {2340-1079},
doi = {10.21125/inted.2019.2485},
url = {http://dx.doi.org/10.21125/inted.2019.2485},
publisher = {IATED},
location = {Valencia, Spain},
month = {11-13 March, 2019},
year = {2019},
pages = {9931-9934}}
TY - CONF
AU - S. García-Martínez AU - A. Alonso AU - J.J. Ruiz
TI - COMPARISON OF THE RESULTS OBTAINED IN THE GENETICS AND PLANT BREEDING SUBJECT AFTER THE ADAPTATION TO THE EUROPEAN HIGHER EDUCATION AREA (EHEA) IN THE UNIVERSITY MIGUEL HERNÁNDEZ
SN - 978-84-09-08619-1/2340-1079
DO - 10.21125/inted.2019.2485
PY - 2019
Y1 - 11-13 March, 2019
CI - Valencia, Spain
JO - 13th International Technology, Education and Development Conference
JA - INTED2019 Proceedings
SP - 9931
EP - 9934
ER -
S. García-Martínez, A. Alonso, J.J. Ruiz (2019) COMPARISON OF THE RESULTS OBTAINED IN THE GENETICS AND PLANT BREEDING SUBJECT AFTER THE ADAPTATION TO THE EUROPEAN HIGHER EDUCATION AREA (EHEA) IN THE UNIVERSITY MIGUEL HERNÁNDEZ, INTED2019 Proceedings, pp. 9931-9934.
User:
Pass: