VOCATIONAL GUIDANCE PROGRAM ADDRESSED TO HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS
Universidad Veracruzana (MEXICO)
About this paper:
Appears in: ICERI2014 Proceedings
Publication year: 2014
Conference name: 7th International Conference of Education, Research and Innovation
Dates: 17-19 November, 2014
Location: Seville, Spain
Abstract:The proposal in the present program is designed to be applied to high school students in the urban area of Veracruz-Boca del Río, with the objective to help young people make better and right decisions at the time of choosing a major; its goal is to provide high school students with basic knowledge, inherent to the educational program that they pretend to attend, which will allow them to have a wider picture of the area, as well as the knowledge and skills that are required to perform satisfactorily.
This program pretends to reduce the amount of students that drop out from the Universidad Veracruzana in the Veracruz Region, since not knowing the educational programs is one of the main factors for the students’ dissatisfaction with their major.
The phases or content of the program were selected by detecting the needs of the students through a poll in high schools and the very same Universidad Veracruzana. According to the results the problem got to be confronted by part of the students in the university with the imperious need of guidance for high school students.
This vocational guidance proposal is a support tool in the decision making process at the time of choosing a major and provides a wider picture of the educational programs offered at the Universidad Veracruzana.
Vocational Guidance Program Objectives:
• To disseminate the benefits provided by a vocational guidance program.
• To avoid mistakes from the students at the time of choosing a major.
• To develop in the students the capacity to choose in a clear way.
• To achieve the identification of the students’ skills and aptitudes.
• To eradicate in the students the decisions made randomly or by lack of knowledge.
• To make the facilities, applicant’s profile and educational programs offered by the Universidad Veracruzana known to the students.
• To disseminate the areas of interest and working field of the different educational programs through talks or conferences.
Keywords: Vocational Guidance, High School, Educational Programs