About this paper

Appears in:
Pages: 1137-1146
Publication year: 2012
ISBN: 978-84-695-3491-5
ISSN: 2340-1117

Conference name: 4th International Conference on Education and New Learning Technologies
Dates: 2-4 July, 2012
Location: Barcelona, Spain

A PERSONALIZED EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE COURSE GENERATION

H. Elbeh, S. Biundo

Ulm University (GERMANY)
Intelligent Tutoring System (ITS) is a computer based learning which assists students in their learning process. It has the ability to be adaptable according to the needs of students. During the learning process, it is important to individualize the learning process and teach students according to their personality types, cognitive capabilities and current emotional and motivational states to achieve the learning goal efficiently. Thus, students with various personality types differ in their behavior. In ITS, it is equally important to consider not only the cognitive level of the student but also the emotional status of the student. Psychological researches indicate that emotions have a deep influence on the efficiency of memory storing and retrieving process. So, Emotional intelligence (EI) is considered as an important factor for increasing the student’s performance. However, our educational system gives stress on IQ (intelligence Quotient) and not on EQ (Emotional Quotient). The IQ contributes only about 20% to success in life, the rest 80% of success depends on EQ. Thus, we are not taught how to handle frustration, anxieties, stress, and failure or depression problems during the learning process. EI is defined as the ability to recognize the meanings of emotion and their relationships, to reason about emotions to enhance thought. However, the process of arranging personalized adaptations is usually complex; the current platforms do not usually provide more than a relatively simple way of personalization and adaptation. Although most of course generation systems generate a suitable course for the student's state considering the student's cognitive ability, and some consideration given to the motivational and emotional state of the student. The student's personality type, emotional appraisal and coping ways and different regulation strategies for each personality type have not been considered so far. In this paper we will introduce PANDA.TUTOR, a new approach for course generation in ITS based on an HTN planning. In our approach a personalized course can be generated as a structured representation of the subject, as well as helping students to adjust or maintain his/her emotions. PANDA.TUTOR includes different learning strategies, learning styles and regulation strategies which help the planner to construct highly individualized courses, and help students to build up their knowledge. One of the most important phases in our approach is a dialog phase. It is presented to improve the emotional intelligence of the student and grasp the student appraisal to build up an individual's interpretation of how external events relate to the student goal and desires, as well as overcoming their emotional reasoning. Emotional reasoning is defined as a thinking error that occurs when a student believes that his/her feeling is true regardless of the evidence, which prevents one looking at alternative, more balanced information or evidence to the contrary. Different styles of dialog can be generated according to the student's personality type. Moreover, we regard the student's emotional appraisal and coping to regulate his/her emotion during the dialog and course generation. Therefore, we will consider the cognitive model of emotion OCC model and the attribution theory during the appraising process, as well as different regulation strategies.
@InProceedings{ELBEH2012APE,
author = {Elbeh, H. and Biundo, S.},
title = {A PERSONALIZED EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE COURSE GENERATION},
series = {4th International Conference on Education and New Learning Technologies},
booktitle = {EDULEARN12 Proceedings},
isbn = {978-84-695-3491-5},
issn = {2340-1117},
publisher = {IATED},
location = {Barcelona, Spain},
month = {2-4 July, 2012},
year = {2012},
pages = {1137-1146}}
TY - CONF
AU - H. Elbeh AU - S. Biundo
TI - A PERSONALIZED EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE COURSE GENERATION
SN - 978-84-695-3491-5/2340-1117
PY - 2012
Y1 - 2-4 July, 2012
CI - Barcelona, Spain
JO - 4th International Conference on Education and New Learning Technologies
JA - EDULEARN12 Proceedings
SP - 1137
EP - 1146
ER -
H. Elbeh, S. Biundo (2012) A PERSONALIZED EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE COURSE GENERATION, EDULEARN12 Proceedings, pp. 1137-1146.
User:
Pass: