A SELF-STUDY APPROACH TO THE ADMISSION TEST FOR SCIENCE FACULTIES WITH MOODLE
1 Università di Pisa, Dipartimento di Matematica (ITALY)
2 Accademia Navale di Livorno (ITALY)
About this paper:
Conference name: 5th International Technology, Education and Development Conference
Dates: 7-9 March, 2011
Location: Valencia, Spain
Abstract:In previous studies we have underlined the role of metacognitive (and linguistic) deficiencies, and of negative attitudes in students’ difficulties in mathematics, in particular in the transition from secondary to tertiary level. This framework served as a theoretical basis for an e-learning project - ELTP (E-Learning Transition Project) - aimed at assisting tertiary students to self-assess and consolidate their previous mathematic knowledge, and to approach mathematics in university courses in a more productive way, i.e. by becoming autonomous learners.
ELTP uses a Moodle platform, where the student will find:
- All publicly available previous tests to practice with.
- All the relevant preparatory material organized by topic and easily accessible.
- Selected questions that are fully worked out in an interactive way so the student is fully involved and any misconceptions that may arise can be easily spotted and dealt with.
- Tests grouped by topic to exercise single areas.
- Automatic links to glossaries to immediately recall all important terms and theorems.
- Forums and FAQs for students and teachers to discuss questions.
The project aimed to support the students in their conscious retrieval of all mathematical knowledge considered necessary to pass the entrance test for the Faculties of Science, but also in overcoming metacognitive deficiencies and negative attitudes towards mathematics and its study.
Keywords: Self study and self-assessment, e-learning, new paradigms in teaching and learning.