About this paper

Appears in:
Pages: 7382-7385
Publication year: 2015
ISBN: 978-84-606-5763-7
ISSN: 2340-1079

Conference name: 9th International Technology, Education and Development Conference
Dates: 2-4 March, 2015
Location: Madrid, Spain

ETHICAL/MORAL KNOWLEDGE IN NURSING STUDENTS

M. Cunha, C. Albuquerque, A.M. Dias, G. Aparício, I. Bica, S. André, R. Martins

CI&DETS, Escola Superior de Saúde, Instituto Politécnico de Viseu (PORTUGAL)
Introduction:
Ethical / moral education is essential for the design of a scientific course in the health area, as well as the development of the profession sustained on scientific evidence and best clinical practices.

Objective:
To assess the level of ethical / moral knowledge; Determine if age and gender influence the level of ethical / moral knowledge.

Methods:
Descriptive-analytic, cross-sectional study with a non-probabilistic sample of 85 students from the 1st cycle of the nursing degree.

Results:
It was found that most students (55.3%) expressed a positive understanding of ethical and moral knowledge. The remaining students manifest a knowledge deficit (44.7%). The male gender students have a better knowledge (76.9% vs 51.4%), and women are more represented in the group with insufficient knowledge (48.6% vs 23.1%). Students with more hours of training hold better knowledge of the professional duties.

Conclusions:
The results suggest that nursing students have ethical / moral knowledge appropriate to the training course attended, demonstrating that the educational intervention promotes ethically driven training for care.
keywords: knowledge, ethics, values.
@InProceedings{CUNHA2015ETH,
author = {Cunha, M. and Albuquerque, C. and Dias, A.M. and Apar{\'{i}}cio, G. and Bica, I. and Andr{\'{e}}, S. and Martins, R.},
title = {ETHICAL/MORAL KNOWLEDGE IN NURSING STUDENTS},
series = {9th International Technology, Education and Development Conference},
booktitle = {INTED2015 Proceedings},
isbn = {978-84-606-5763-7},
issn = {2340-1079},
publisher = {IATED},
location = {Madrid, Spain},
month = {2-4 March, 2015},
year = {2015},
pages = {7382-7385}}
TY - CONF
AU - M. Cunha AU - C. Albuquerque AU - A.M. Dias AU - G. Aparício AU - I. Bica AU - S. André AU - R. Martins
TI - ETHICAL/MORAL KNOWLEDGE IN NURSING STUDENTS
SN - 978-84-606-5763-7/2340-1079
PY - 2015
Y1 - 2-4 March, 2015
CI - Madrid, Spain
JO - 9th International Technology, Education and Development Conference
JA - INTED2015 Proceedings
SP - 7382
EP - 7385
ER -
M. Cunha, C. Albuquerque, A.M. Dias, G. Aparício, I. Bica, S. André, R. Martins (2015) ETHICAL/MORAL KNOWLEDGE IN NURSING STUDENTS, INTED2015 Proceedings, pp. 7382-7385.
User:
Pass: