USING CHATGPT TO INVESTIGATE TRENDS IN DIGITAL STORYTELLING AND KNOWLEDGE SHARING IN HIGHER EDUCATION
1 Swansea University (UNITED KINGDOM)
2 University of the Western Cape (SOUTH AFRICA)
About this paper:
Conference name: 15th International Conference on Education and New Learning Technologies
Dates: 3-5 July, 2023
Location: Palma, Spain
Abstract:Literature reviews are traditionally used by researchers to consider large bodies of knowledge within their field of research and to synthesize new knowledge. The principal objective of this research was to do a state-of-the-art review using ChatGPT, an artificial intelligence chatbot launched in 2022, as a tool to investigate how digital storytelling supports knowledge sharing in higher education. This chatbot allows for conversational interaction with the researcher, enabling the researcher to pose questions to which the bot responds to. The researchers posed several questions to the chatbot, to find literature published in the period 2020-2023, regarding digital storytelling, digital culture, digital affinity, and its affordances for knowledge sharing in higher education. The researchers used Bloom’s Taxonomy aligned with SAMR (Substitution, Augmentation, Modification, Redefinition) as a framework to identify current trends and to select and synthesize research published both on digital storytelling and knowledge sharing within higher education. The tool, ChatGPT, was used as the substitution technology tool for the redefinition and innovation of the research process.
The initial output received, based on the questions posed to the Chatbot, provided thought-provoking insights into knowledge sharing, and digital storytelling:
1) Knowledge sharing together with the power of storytelling fosters innovation and creativity in higher education,
2) It helps to enhance the understanding of complex concepts and ideas and helps to bridge the gap between theory and practice, enabling critical thinking,
3) Knowledge sharing encourages collaboration and community building, which is enhanced by storytelling within the higher education context,
4) Storytelling is an effective conversational tool to share knowledge. Digital storytelling makes use of versatile digital media which affords a more powerful and immersive experience to share knowledge,
5) The principles of digital storytelling and of knowledge sharing were identified and a framework was designed to depict where these intersect.
6) The SAMR (Substitution, Augmentation, Modification, Redefinition) framework was identified as a tool to select and synthesis research.
The researchers found that ChatGPT is a powerful complementary tool promising effective and efficient ways to aid in the research process by using artificial intelligence. Higher Education Institutions will need to embrace this technology, be agile and innovative in its usage, and be willing to adapt to the opportunities the new technology provides.
Keywords: Digital Storytelling, Knowledge Sharing, Higher Education, ChatGPT.