About this paper

Appears in:
Pages: 2421-2429
Publication year: 2016
ISBN: 978-84-608-5617-7
ISSN: 2340-1079
doi: 10.21125/inted.2016.1511

Conference name: 10th International Technology, Education and Development Conference
Dates: 7-9 March, 2016
Location: Valencia, Spain

PRACTICAL TRAINING IN ARCHITECTURAL INSTITUTIONS

F. Animashaun, A. Imhogiemhe, O. Uwakonye, E. Aduwo

Covenant University (NIGERIA)
Architecture as a profession is a multifaceted field that requires extensive knowledge in various fields. An architect must know about structural engineering, plumbing, electrical works, environmental science, and human psychology, etc. Most of these subjects are taught as a part of many architectural programs, but how much of the practical aspects are knows? Will the average architectural graduate know how floor tiles are laid? How to market themselves? How to manage laborers and other professionals?

Architects are known for excelling during design and floundering with business and management aspects that follow after the design. The business and management aspects of architecture require practical skills. The design aspect is emphasized in schools because it is the base of the architect. However an architect’s work will only be about 20% design. Management takes the other 80% of the architects work and will require practical skill in order to execute and lead construction works effectively.

This research will attempt to see the extent that which students of architecture are being involved in practical training, to see the practical skills they are learning. It will also aim to discover what is lacking in these architectural institutions to enhance the education of architectural students, and to better prepare them for the practical aspect of architecture.

To get the desired data for this research, questionnaires will be distributed to students in different universities. The curriculum of different universities will also be used. Interviews with architecture students at varying levels will also be conducted to see the depth comprehensiveness and effectiveness of any implemented practical training. The results of this research will be valuable to educators as they set curriculum for their students. They will have a resource to guide them as they try to design and mold the education of their students.
@InProceedings{ANIMASHAUN2016PRA,
author = {Animashaun, F. and Imhogiemhe, A. and Uwakonye, O. and Aduwo, E.},
title = {PRACTICAL TRAINING IN ARCHITECTURAL INSTITUTIONS},
series = {10th International Technology, Education and Development Conference},
booktitle = {INTED2016 Proceedings},
isbn = {978-84-608-5617-7},
issn = {2340-1079},
doi = {10.21125/inted.2016.1511},
url = {http://dx.doi.org/10.21125/inted.2016.1511},
publisher = {IATED},
location = {Valencia, Spain},
month = {7-9 March, 2016},
year = {2016},
pages = {2421-2429}}
TY - CONF
AU - F. Animashaun AU - A. Imhogiemhe AU - O. Uwakonye AU - E. Aduwo
TI - PRACTICAL TRAINING IN ARCHITECTURAL INSTITUTIONS
SN - 978-84-608-5617-7/2340-1079
DO - 10.21125/inted.2016.1511
PY - 2016
Y1 - 7-9 March, 2016
CI - Valencia, Spain
JO - 10th International Technology, Education and Development Conference
JA - INTED2016 Proceedings
SP - 2421
EP - 2429
ER -
F. Animashaun, A. Imhogiemhe, O. Uwakonye, E. Aduwo (2016) PRACTICAL TRAINING IN ARCHITECTURAL INSTITUTIONS, INTED2016 Proceedings, pp. 2421-2429.
User:
Pass: