EDUCATION AS A SOFT POWER TOOL: SAUDI’S APPROACH AS PUBLIC DIPLOMACY
Peoples' Friendship University of Russia (RUSSIAN FEDERATION)
About this paper:
Conference name: 12th annual International Conference of Education, Research and Innovation
Dates: 11-13 November, 2019
Location: Seville, Spain
Abstract:Researchers have discussed the significance of education as a Soft power tool for decades. These discussions typically focus on higher education and student exchange programs. Middle powers, such as Saudi, are constrained from using hard power to achieve their political goals; consequently, middle powers use soft power tools to achieve their political ends. It is important to use soft power strategically and effectively to maximize its benefits. This study explores Saudi‘s dissemination cultural institutes and schools in the context of education and analyzes Saudi‘s multi-channel education strategy. More particularly, this research shows the ways in which saudi combines sending Saudi students to other countries for education, opening institutes in other countries and give scholarships to international students. Descriptive and analytical approaches were used in this research.
The aim of this research is to understand Saudi soft power in education, the purpose of this research is to understand the importance of education in the world of politics. on this analysis based six main benefits of Saudi‘s approach, this benefits have been identified:
1) Opportunities to establish saudi businesses in many In multiple places of the world;
2) The construction of a favorable image of Saudi in the eyes of the governments and public resulting from the provision of jobs and study opportunities;
3) Opportunities to promote saudi culture and language and foster cultural exchanges;
4) A way to attract people to religious tourism;
5) The establishment of strong foundations for future projects;
6) Attract international investment to Saudi Arabia.
Keywords: Education, Public Diplomacy, Soft Power, Saudi, culture, language.