TECHNOLOGY AND EDUCATION ANALYSIS STUDY FOR UNITED ARAB EMIRATES UNIVERSITY EXPERIENCE IN THE USAGE OF TECHNOLOGY IN TEACHING
United Arab Emirates university (UNITED ARAB EMIRATES)
About this paper:
Conference name: 5th International Technology, Education and Development Conference
Dates: 7-9 March, 2011
Location: Valencia, Spain
Abstract:Technology, with its different methods and strengths, became a major player of activating the academic process and enabling the flow of information between professors and students in a simplified way. It simplifies the way of passing the philosophy of education through the curriculums to the students. Moreover, it gives the students an opportunity to obtain new information in a way that avoids complications and difficulties in their field of research.
The United Arab Emirates University, the first university in United Arab Emirates, established in 1978, gave priority to the technological education by establishing a college that is specialized in Information Technology. In addition to that, the university added the technological factors into classes in order to be used easily by the students and their professors. The university also provided special laboratories specialized in the I.T field. However, the major question is, did those methods participate in a practical way that enabled technology to enter the educational field effectively? Did those methods help to avoid old teaching methods that were taking place in printed notes and books?
The major goal of this study is to clarify and show UAE University’s experience, since it is an Arab University falling on the Arabian Gulf that includes a big number of students and professors from different cultural and academic backgrounds who have experienced different methods of dealing with information and technology.
The study is considered the first of its kind in terms of measuring the uses of technology in education in the UAE University, especially in the theoretical aspects of the courses that are provided to the students. Therefore, the importance of the study is in the analysis of this major and important aspect that is used by a variety of the modern educational institutions. Especially that technology plays a magnificent role in the educational process and the process of absorbing the philosophy of the curriculums by the students. Moreover, technology has been used lately in the Arabian world and third world countries in the educational system. In addition to that, the students will be able to participate in dealing with whatever is new in the technological world and play an effective role outside the boundaries of their own societies and cultures. In addition to that, they will have the ability to communicate with the surroundings in an effective and an influential way.
Goals and Objectives:
1. Identify the major fields that are using technology as a way to provide the students the information necessary to understand the context of the curriculum.
2. Analyze the technical abilities of both the students and professors in using technology.
3. Analyze the difference academically between students who use technology in their educational systems vs. students who do not use technology in the educational methods.
4. Analyze the actual returns to the use of technology by the student in his field of study.
5. How successful is UAE University in providing technology in the field of education.
6. Detect the needs that are necessary and required in order to activate the uses of technology in the educational system in UAE University.