DEVELOPMENT OF INTERACTIVE LEARNING TOOLS IN MOODLE
Increasing the students’ motivation for learning is related to the effective management of the student's development process, which requires the skills of conducting an active dialogue, organizing communication methods, jointly searching for solutions by an educator.
The main methodological innovations of this direction are connected with the use of interactive learning methods, which help an educator and student to interact.
The goal of this research work is to improve the quality of education which is based on the active use of e-Learning and distance technologies through the interactive learning tools development in Moodle LMS.
In order to achieve this goal, we had to solve the following tasks:
1. The "Student’s identification" project was developed in order to allow Moodle to identify an Internet user during the final testing of a discipline. The essence of the project is that the browser working with Moodle takes pictures of a user and enters them into the statistics of the discipline’s e-learning system, and an educator gets this statistic.
2. The "Rating of educational material’s sections in the network course" service was developed. The rating is formed on the basis of student’s reviews and comments, which allows educators to identify sections with a decreasing rating and sections with an increasing rating. Comments and evaluations of course elements are reflected in a free table with fields called "course element", "average score», and "number of evaluations".
3. New types of interactive question tests were developed:
a) drag and drop onto image questions;
b) drag and drop markers questions. This type of a test question allows a student to mark certain areas on the image using special markers;
c) drag and drop into text questions;
d) the "Setsplitting" questions allow an educator to create questions, in which a student can split elements in groups;
e) matching questions,
f) short answer questions.
4. The "Practical test work" project was developed. It offers students to develop a test task for the learned material. There are three question types: a short answer from the keyboard; a multiple choice question; a matching question.
5. The "Automated point-rating system (PRS)" project was developed, which contributes to:
a) improving the quality of the learning process by inuring the skills and abilities of systematic, rhythmic, independent work during the whole period of study;
b) increasing the students' motivation for mastering educational programs by means of a higher differentiation of the evaluation of their current work, as well as raising the level of the educational process organization in the university;
c) the implementation of a quality management system that allows educators to quickly optimize the organization of students’ independent work on the basis of an analysis of the students' performance indicators, and to timely eliminate shortcomings in mastering and fixing the learning materials;
d) obtaining an objective and more accurate assessment of the knowledge and level of students’ professional training in the learning process.
The students' progress in PRS is assessed based on grades of theme, boundary and post tests.
Projects are implemented at C # as plugins to Moodle LMS.
In 2017, the Ulyanovsk State Technical University conducted a practical experiment on the basis of these projects, in which 500 online and part-time students participated. The experiment resulted to 10-12% increase in academic performance.