INTELLIGENT LEARNING ENVIRONMENTS
Ulyanovsk State Technical University (RUSSIAN FEDERATION)
About this paper:
Appears in: INTED2015 Proceedings
Publication year: 2015
Conference name: 9th International Technology, Education and Development Conference
Dates: 2-4 March, 2015
Location: Madrid, Spain
Abstract:The issue of computer-based learning environments intellectualization that facilitates to enhance the effectiveness and quality of education, and makes possible to organize personalized learning at the industrial plants and large enterprises is of current importance and of great theoretical and practical significance.
The purpose of our research is to develop and implement the methods and tools for the organization and functioning of the intelligent computer-based learning environments.
To accomplish this purpose we solved the following tasks.
1. We analyzed and classified the computer-based learning environments.
2. We proposed the approach to the organization and functioning of the intelligent learning environments for enterprises and corporations. The approach is based on personalization, experience consideration and integration.
3. To implement the principles we developed the complex of models and methods.
In the frame of the first task we divided the environments into formal and informal education. We considered such distance learning systems as Moodle and Blackboard as formal learning environments, and social networks and massive online open courses were analyzed as informal ones.
To solve the second task we proposed the following principles.
The principal of personalization means that a trainee should be provided with the individual learning path according to both his (her) personal competence-based professional skills and personal characteristics such as pace of studying and acquiring of training material, preference for training content (text, graphics, video, etc..), the ability to find the required quality information on the Internet, etc.
The principal of experience consideration means that the personalized learning path should involve the industrial enterprises experience, embodied in the database of the hybrid enterprise knowledge.
The principle of integration means that the software and information platform of the intelligent learning environment should have the means for integration with software and information enterprise systems (CAD systems, management and logistics systems, manufacturing systems, etc.) so that trainees could acquire the necessary competence to work, and, if necessary, to generate design solutions, which will then be analyzed by means of the intelligent learning environment.
To implement the above discussed principles (the third task) we developed a number of models and methods:
1) associative dynamic multilevel domain model that properly presents the structure of industrial assemblies, components, parts and etc. and their design process is based on ontologies using the ordered, hierarchical and associative relations;
2) overlay trainee model;
3) object-oriented model of scenario of learning process is based on step-by-step representation of industrial items development structure and process;
4) method of controlling and diagnosing trainee’s qualimetric characteristics on the basis of the classification of fuzzy linguistic Kohonen maps;
5) method of generating the dynamic adaptive personalized path of a trainee based on the rules of the first-order logic and probabilistic relationships.
The obtained results allow organizing a personalized practice-oriented learning path. The Institute of Distance and Further Education of Ulyanovsk State Technical University (Russia) develops the above mentioned products on the platform Moodle and uses for engineering students.
Keywords: intelligent learning environments, individualized learning, e-learning